On Tuesday, August 22nd, Boys & Girls Clubs of Delaware, in partnership with the USDA, Delaware Department of Education, Division of Public Health, Connections CSP, hosted an end of summer event recognizing the organizations Summer and After-School Food Programs. Club members from the Greater Dover area enjoyed a day of fun to celebrate another great Summer Fun Club experience and to gear up for Back to School.
In 2016, 586,665 meals were served to hungry youth through this the Boys & Girls Clubs of Delaware Food program. The event recognized the success and impact of the program and the community partners who work year round to make sure Delaware youth don’t go hungry.
Guest Speakers Included:
- John Wellons, President/CEO Boys & Girls Clubs of Delaware
- Marie Cunningham, Senior Librarian, Delaware Division of Libraries
- Aimee Beam, Delaware Department of Education Child Nutrition Office
- Pat Dombrowski, USDA Mid-Atlantic Regional Director
- First Lady Tracey Quillen Carney presents Governor’s Proclamation
- State Senator Bryant L. Richardson presents Delaware Senate Tribute
- State Representative Sean Lynn presents Delaware House of Representative’s Tribute
- Special displays and activities from the Delaware State Police, Dover City Police Department, Division of Public Health, Camden/Wyoming Fire Department and other community partners
Other special features of the day included games and activities with local law enforcement, delicious food, and backpacks handed out to members. To learn more about the Food Program offered by Boys & Girls Clubs of Delaware, please contact Tony Windsor.