On March 2, Boys & Girls Clubs of Delaware announced their 2018 Youth of the Year Finalists. These 9 young women and men, represent the very best from their Clubs and communities and will compete for the George Krupanski Jr. Delaware Youth of the Year on Wednesday, April 18th at the Be Great Youth of the Year Gala in Wilmington.
Youth of the Year is the premier recognition program of Boys & Girls Clubs of Delaware, celebrating the extraordinary achievements of our Club members. Participants embody the values of leadership, community service, academic excellence, and healthy lifestyles. They exemplify the critical impact of Boys & Girls Clubs on the lives of young people. Each year, one exceptional young person from a Boys & Girls Club is selected to be State Youth of the Year. Similarly, an outstanding young person from our state’s military bases is selected as State Military Youth of the Year. These young people serve as model ambassadors for other Boys & Girls Club youth and as a strong voice for all of Delaware’s young people.
Some highlights of the application, selection, and leadership program for 2017 include:
• A focus on leadership, character, and service; academic excellence; and healthy lifestyles.
• The Clubs’ role in developing good citizens is demonstrated when members share their personal triumphs and achievements. A number of finalists have prevailed over tragedies, hardships, and other obstacles that have challenged their personal, academic, and Club life.
• An application requiring candidates to write three essays about (a) their Club experience; (b) their vision for America’s youth; and (c) their personal brand as individuals and leaders.
• Inclusion of three letters of recommendation, written by caring adults, to describe candidates’ experience and aptitude in terms of, (a) leadership, character, and service; (b) academic excellence; and (c) healthy lifestyles.
• Public speaking in front of a distinguished panel of judges, who are representatives from our community and who reflect the diversity of Club participants and the same high morals and character qualities expected of Club members. The judges assess finalists
on the basis of their essays, public speaking, overall application quality, and interview.
The winner of State Youth of the Year will receive a $5,000 scholarship from Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
The State Youth of the Year will go on to compete for the title of Northeast Regional Youth of the Year and a $10,000 scholarship (renewable up to four years). The five regional winners will travel to Washington, D.C., for a week-long celebration, meeting with the president of the United States and addressing Congress. The youth named National Youth of the Year receives an additional $25,000 in college scholarships (renewable up to four years).
Through the Youth of the Year program, our young people showcase their talents and achievements, share their hopes and dreams, and work toward a bright and positive future. Youth of the Year honorees at any level—local, state, regional and national—are shining examples and living proof that GREAT FUTURES START HERE.
Tickets for the Be Great Youth of the Year Gala are on sale now. Questions about Youth of the Year can be directed to Cheryl Rice.