The Maintenance Specialist works under the direct supervision of the Facilities Supervisor/Manager to support the state wide organization with regards to a broad array of facilities issues specifically throughout New Castle County area, consisting of 6 buildings. The Maintenance Specialist is responsible for a variety of routine maintenance inspections and repairs, such as ensuring that plumbing and electrical systems are in good working order.
Job Location: Claymont, DE
Essential Job Functions:
- Conduct regular inspections of the devices to see that they are working optimally.
- Prioritize projects giving emergency work immediate attention and setting schedule to reduce travel time and expense.
- Inspect vehicles and return fully completed inspection documents to Maintenance Manager.
- When assigned work projects, develop a materials list, and complete the appropriate accounting paperwork required for purchase.
- Deliver materials and supplies, and/or set up and break-down equipment at special events.
- Keep Unit Directors and Facilities Manager and Supervisor informed of all work projects when additional steps are required, there are safety concerns, and/or the project may require additional cost.
- Schedule work in manner that will be most time and cost effective and would result in the least disruption to Club operations; work with Unit Directors to avoid any potential conflicts.
- Utilize all facets of the on line maintenance system (Facility Dude) to track work orders, enter labor hours and materials costs when completing the work order on line.
- Watch for, identify, and report any safety or health issues throughout facilities when performing day-to-day work.
- As directed, inspect facilities and complete building inspection form.
- Submit required reports and other documentation in a timely manner. Coordinate with other maintenance personnel, helpers and volunteers to complete projects and tasks.
- Assist outside contractors, volunteer groups or accompany building inspection personnel (e.g. Fire Marshal).
- Remove snow, apply salt, remove tree limbs or other storm damage
- Repair/ install plumbing fixtures, commercial and residential sinks, toilets, water heaters, shower valves, etc.
- Repair/ replace damaged pipes, valves, fittings, etc. and lubricate mechanical equipment.
- Repair/ install electrical switches, receptacles, lighting fixtures, breakers, bulbs, basic wiring, cord ends, equipment connections, etc.
- Replace HVAC filters and belts.
- Repair/ replace dry wall, build shelves; hang wall fixtures, repair/ replace hung ceiling tiles and grid, all general carpentry skills required to maintain good building appearance.
- Repair/replace door and window hardware.
- Ability to paint walls, ceilings, floors, etc. in a neat, clean manner.
- Repair/install all types flooring, VCT, laminate, ceramic, etc.
- Prepare material list, enter purchase orders and check request.
- Adapt to resources, and maintain a creative and resourceful work ethic.
- Ability to troubleshoot building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, alarm, etc. systems and the knowledge to understand your limits and abilities to correct problems as warranted.
- Respond to high priority work first and then prioritize other assignments to conserve time and cost in travel throughout the state.
- Maintain a continuing awareness of all building systems; reporting and correcting when possible. Issues posing unsafe conditions.
- Have a preventive maintenance nature, reporting to directors and supervisors, maintenance items needing attention.
- Create work orders for ones needing more urgent attention and when possible complete work.
- Under the direction of maintenance supervisor conduct scheduled and unscheduled vehicle inspections.
- As needed or directed remove snow, apply salt, assist in storm damage clean-up.
- Assist with donation pick-ups and delivery, special event set-up and break-down.
- Work with or assist operation staff or volunteers on projects with-in or outside of normal maintenance duties.
- Interact with vendors and/or inspectors visiting organization sites.
Core Values for Success:
Greatness (BE GREAT): Strive for greatness and hold yourself and others to a high standard of excellence resulting in quality services to the children we serve. Live the principles and mission of the organization and see yourself as role model both within the organization and the community; apply creativity and sound thinking to identify the resources needed to accomplish our mission.
Accountability (Ownership): We hold ourselves and others accountable for meeting standards for the quality, quantity, resource management and timeliness of work; we acknowledge ownership and accountability of our actions and accept responsibility for their consequences without exceptions or excuses. We are accepting of feedback about improving our performance, and we acknowledge and correct our mistakes.
Integrity: We act with honesty and honor in all our dealings with board members, funders, vendors, parents, children and colleagues. We understand that we are stewards of the resources made available to us, and we strive to provide a return on investment in all our activities and interactions. We hold ourselves and others to the highest standards of honesty and morality.
Teamwork: We treat each other with dignity and respect; we encourage, reward and recognize our team members who achieve great things; we have relationships that are built on trust. We demonstrate and encourage cooperative team relationships, optimizing the talents of our team members through honest feedback and coaching, where appropriate. We approach challenges and our day to day interactions with extreme optimism and a positive attitude.
Ability and strength to bend, kneel, squat, stand, reach, pick up and carry equipment, materials and supplies (up to 50 lbs.); to stand on ladders or climb scaffolding and stairs; to use dollies, hand trucks, etc.; to stand for extended periods of time; to work outdoors in winter and summer; to maneuver in tight spaces.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Normal work day starts at site of first daily assignment.